Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Counterfeit Doubles


Ah put ah picture of Trinidadian Doubles up as a reference. So at any time during this blog readers may look at the picture to see the doubles that NEW LEAF RESTAURANT not sellin.
I received a flyer via email a few months ago advertising a new vegetarian restaurant in (lane plaza I think) Point of excitement they selling doubles!!!! So stupid me thinking to myself dey either bring ah indian from Trinidad to make it or somebody lived in Trinidad for a while and was instructed in the art of doubles making. Happiness floods my body as I allow myself to believe that i don't have to live for most of the year in doubles withdrawal, but that i should be able to obtain a slightly inferior product at a slightly increased price, but a doubles none the less.
Is ah good thing ah never rush and go but waited till i had company to share this momentous occasion with.......Doubles in Jamaica. At least now ah have witnesses so I know I not mad and people know I ent lying. The cast of characters iz as follows-my sis from London, my bredrin from Jamaica and another Jamaican bredrin who lives in the States.
We get to New Leaf and I inquire as to the price of said doubles. Dis woman look me dead in my eye and tell me $250.00JA. Roughly the equivalent of $25.00TT I had was Tuh laugh. I getting good good doubles for 3 and 4 dollars in Trinidad and you tellin me bout 250$$. I say I not making no Jamaican rich, fuh no sub standard doubles.....Allyuh, since when doubles is almost the same price as a quarter jerk chicken? Steupes!!!
Well meh poor sis craving Indian food so she buy one, and I get one for my fren Rick cause I always talking bout this thing so ah say look let him take ah chance so at least he will have an idea of what I talking about all dese years. The other guy declined.........guess he figured if de Trini doh want it den tuh ass was with dat.
Please note we have now spent roughly the equivalent of 50TT on 2 doubles. First off the presentation buss. It long and roll up like ah burrito. Next the bara (or dough) stiff and hard, plus the Channa (chick peas) under cook and hard too. The condiments were meagre and provided nothing to the overall debacle of the doubles.
My sis took a couple bites and threw it away. My bredrin open it and watch it cokey eye and then he dumped it too.........ah feel bad cause he is ah man I know does put all kinda thing in he mout. Well needless to say I was vex, ah still vex. For two main reasons:
1-Ah still cayr get meh doubles till ah go home
2-I have a serious problem with mis-representation of culture.
Just as if I see jerk chicken in Trini and it buss.......now I not looking for an exact copy, but a close counterfeit. If it buss I will hadda say "aye miss lady, dis ent no Jerk chicken. Stop lying on the people dem thing." Same way I vex cause dat ent doubles.
Especially because doubles is one thing Trini people always talking about all over the place. Imagine ah Jamaican go and buy a doubles by dis place and say "dis is what dem Trini people making big fuss over, cho man"............Ah cayr blame dem.
I know some Trini's have been to NEW LEAF and find de Doubles not so bad. No offence but is either allyuh here too long or allyuh willing tuh real settle for ah doubles. I ent able wid that shit. NEW LEAF if yuh coming, come correct. It is a dish most Trini's hold close to their hearts.
Oh and FYI yuh ent importing nutten tuh justify that expensive price. flour, oil, Channa, pepper, even wax paper sellin right here. Doubles costing more dan patty and patty have meat. Lord, put ah han!

1 comment:

  1. Trini

    as your jamaican food consultant, did i endorse new leaf restaurant? is you bring this debacle and trauma upon yourself!

    sigh, new leaf restaurant sound like a bogus chiney establishment, how you can expect to find good doubles in a place call new leaf?

    ReplyDelete